Finally I have a window to explore the strange state of my readership statistics. I’d had a weird, catastrophic drop in my readership, from 1,053 views by 483 visitors in march down to 808 views by 303 visitors in April. That trend … well, in May the number of views dropped to 759, though the number of unique viewers rose back to 359. I don’t know what to make of this. The number of views per visitor was more in line with what I’d expect. That was 2.11 in May, compared to April’s anomalously high 2.67. March was 2.18, which is about what I expect.
Still, the number of likes received over the month dropped again: from 443 in March, to 402 in April, to 380 in May. The number of comments similarly fell, from 113 in March to 108 in April to 81 in May. Perhaps I just didn’t have subjects that lent themselves to cross-chatter? Or that might reflect the end of the First Betty Boop Cartoons project, since listing all the previous firsts was counted by WordPress as a comment for reasons that make sense to WordPress’s statistics team.
If I’m reading it right stuff was basically fine except for the third week in May (the 18th through the 24th) when people just didn’t come around. I don’t see anything odd about that week’s selection of articles and cartoons and stuff, though.
Well, the month of June started at 17,231 page views, and 568 WordPress followers. Ten of them added in the month of May, so, hi there.
Now on to the popular business of listing stuff. The most popular articles in May were:
- Caption This: From the first season of Star Trek Enterprise, featuring T’Pol and some Andorians.
- Maybe I Could Be A Generalist, Though? Based on an odd job listing I got.
- It Turns Out I’m Unreadable according to this web service that looks for forceful, clear prose.
- In Which I Am Doomed, Doomed I Tell You because of page fourteen — page 14! — of a book I thought was just an innocent little memoir.
- Robert Benchley: Movie Boners, one of the great humorist’s greatest moments, and one that mentioned how there’s no such place as Budapest.
- Making Myself Not Understood because I just talk like myself, which is a problem.
- Betty Boop: So who’s this Freddy character anyway? In which I try to explain this new fellow that turned up in six cartoons.
As for the popular listing of countries: the greatest number of readers in the reader-deprived month of May came from the United States (542), with runners-up the United Kingdom (33), the United Canada (28), and the United Australia (20). Sending me a single reader each were the United Belgium,
the United Bulgaria, the United Chile, the United Egypt, the United European Union, the United Finland, the United Hong Kong, the United India, the United Italy, the United Norway, the United Saudi Arabia, and the United United Arab Emirates. United Finland United is on a three-month streak of sending me a single reader. I don’t know how a reader can be coming from the United European Union considering there’s countries in it that are already listed.
Here’s some of the search terms I got. Good luck working out what they mean:
- krazy kat april 1943
- worst of computoon, computoon (this makes my obsession with that strip sound kind of meanspirited, when it’s really just mildly baffled.)
- toying with me phrase origins (“Toying with me phrase”? Is that you, Popeye?)
- trans-dimensional currency (I recommend Space Venusian Sequins, myself.)
- how many football fields is the size of rhode island (I knew people would want that one! I knew it!)
- what is zero in alphabetical order
- pinball america’s funniest home videos
- remedies for nebus (I usually get better if just left alone.)
- free george washington comic strips (I have this, but it’s not a comic strip.)