September 2015 did not love my mathematics blog. It was absolutely wild for my humor blog here, though. I had a record number of page views: 1,687, well above August’s 1,115 and July’s 1,126. That’s even well above the previous record of 1,389, set in October 2014.
The number of distinct readers was way up, also, to a record and very tidy 888. There’d been 639 in August and 669 in July. The previous record seems to have been 676, set in November 2014.
I know why suddenly people are desperate for my writings. It’s the ongoing collapse of Frank Bolle and Margaret Shulock’s Apartment 3-G. The strip keeps being inept in baffling and surprising new ways. And I basically do little except reassure people that it isn’t them not getting it; the strip really has got that bad.
For all that people turned to me for help in deciphering Apartment 3-G the number of likes continued to dwindle in September. It was down to 281, from 331 in August and 349 in July. ‘Likes’ have been shrinking in a monotone sequence since March. This may be because I’m the kind of person who says things like ‘monotone sequence’ and means it. The number of comments rose to 56, from August’s 44, but is below July’s 76 and June’s 59. I suspect if I hold an “explain what’s wrong with Apartment 3-G contest” I’d see abundant commentary.
Of the ten most popular posts around here in September, six were explanations of what was going on in Apartment 3-G. One of the others was my Statistics Saturday joke-but-not-a-joke about how my readership grew the more I wrote about nothing happening in Apartment 3-G. Oddly, the most popular of all this — with 216 views! — was an article I wrote about the collapse of Apartment 3-G‘s narrative last year. I’ve prepended a note to people who might be confused why I’m talking about a vacant story dealing with Tommie and some upstate woman and a hybrid deer-kangaroo-demon beast doing nothing.
Well, if I can’t entertain, at least I can be of service. Grouping all the Apartment 3-G stuff together into a single tag, here’s what was popular in September:
- Nothing Is Happening In Apartment 3-G, an apparently never-ending series.
- Statistics Saturday: What We Found In The New 2015 Penny
- Statistics Saturday: What Warren Buffett Is Warning Americans About which, with the above entry, shows how useful subverting clickbait is and how it’s a perfectly decent and moral thing to do, so I should not have trouble sleeping, right?
- An Open Letter To The Spider Building Its Web Across Our Side Door and say, did I ever mention how that all turned out?
- Statistics Saturday: Hamlet’s To Be Or Not To Be Soliloquy, In Order which I am totally thinking of doing some Open Mic Night at the hipster bar where we play pinball
October starts with the humor blog having 21,898 total views, and some 11,050 unique visitors. WordPress says I have 607 total WordPress followers, with four who seem to have started following in October. Hi there.
The United States sent me the most viewers, as ever. There were 1,348 of them from the United States, which amazes me. That’s nearly single-nationedly more than I’ve gotten in any month before, and that’s almost all from people of a single country trying to understand a comic strip with nothing going on. The far distant second-place nation was Canada (“We’re used to it,” Canada sighs) with 67 views. The United Kingdom sent 47 viewers, and Australia 35. India sent me five readers, so there’s that.
Single-reader nations were Albania, Austria, Bangladesh, Chile, Czech Republic, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Israel, the Netherlands, Portugal, Romania, Senegal, Singapore, and Slovenia. Bangladesh, Chile, and Singapore are repeats from the last month, and nowhere is on a three-month streak.
The search terms bringing folks here are mostly what you’d have guessed: variations on what’s wrong with apartment 3-g and what is filling the 2015 penny and warren buffet warning to americans. Some of the terms that aren’t those include:
- nebus game (mine is pinball; I’ve been very good on Junk Yard lately)
- robert benchley movies
- chuckletrousers (ran into an old alt.fan.dave_barry friend through this)
- popeye star wars parody
- skipping cheeses (now why would you skip a cheese, if you had the choice?)
- an awful terrible medieval romance (Mark Twain, that’s what it’s about)
That’s the review of the month just passed (September). I’d like to encourage folks to follow the blog if they haven’t already, or to look at me on Twitter where I’m known cryptically as @Nebusj. But I admit I don’t know why I’d be reading this article this far down if I weren’t already reading me. Well, let me just say: Apartment 3-G. You’re welcome.