My love argues that I know a startling amount about the XFL, the short-lived attempt by pro wrestling to create something that was like football but would be cheaper for NBC to air back in 2001. Do I? Let me share with you what I do know about the XFL:
- They tried some weird kind of scramble for the ball instead of doing a kickoff to start the halves.
- They made the sports reporters sit in the open weather instead of in a press booth so that … I don’t know, the fans wouldn’t think the reporters were more comfortable than they were? Some kind of Stupid Populist thing anyway.
- The game tried taking away a bunch of rules about player safety that they had to reinstate after it turned out players got hurt a lot.
- Not really sure about this, but I’m guessing some pro wrestling participant said something really racist while doing cheerleader-type commentary during a broadcast.
- There was something Movie Mafia about the New York/New Jersey team name?
- There was that guy with “He Hate Me” as his uniform’s “name”.
My question to you: do I, in fact, know too many things about the XFL?
(Yes. Yes, I do. I know at least four things too many about the XFL.)