So I always try to start the month with a review of what’s popular and how popular it is. I find this out by checking WordPress’s page statistics. I can guess that September 2018 will have some relatively big numbers for me as people try to figure out the Alley Oop situation. But the news of that broke the 1st of September and so can’t do anything for me for August. I suppose I could do a review of what will be popular in September, but I haven’t written most of it. And most of it will be the story strip recaps. Which, if breaking news doesn’t force me to alter schedules should be this:
- 10th September: Judge Parker
- 17th September: The Amazing Spider-Man
- 24th September: The Phantom (weekday continuity)
- 1st October: Prince Valiant
Please plan how much you’re interested in the story strips accordingly.
So here’s the readership chart for the months leading up to August 2018, plus a little bit of September so far:
My slow secular decline continues! For another month the number of page views has dropped, to 2,848 from July’s 2,984. And down from June’s 3,454. I’m not sure but it looks like I’m drifting down something like 125 page views per month ever since that January 2018 high. The number of unique visitors bounced up, though, to 1,619. July had only 1,569. That doesn’t get back to June’s 1,791 but it’s a bit of a rally. We’ll see whether July or August is the fluke and which one is the trend.
Those measures of reader engagement … eh. Technically the number of likes rose, to 180, from July’s 165. But there were between 172 and 177 likes from April through to June this year. It’s as good as fixed in place. The number of comments rose to 39 from July’s 36, but again, June saw 56 and May 54. There’s just not a lot going on here.
What were the popular posts around here in August? About what you’d expect given that nobody was expecting Alley Oop to need explaining:
- What The Heck Happened To Nancy and Why Does It Look Weird?
- What’s Going On In The Phantom (Sundays)? Is The Rat Dead YET? May – August 2018
- What’s Going On In Judge Parker? Is Something Happening In Apartment 3-G Suddenly? March – June 2018 I’m getting back to this strip. The story’s reached the point where Francesco Marciuliano has kicked the board over and is deciding what if any pieces he wants in play.
- What’s Going On In Gasoline Alley? And What Happened To Jim Scancarelli? And by the way, that roast-of-Little-Orphan-Annie has been revealed to be a cover story. It’s actually an Old Comics Home celebration of Walt Wallet on the occasion of his 4,338th birthday.
- What’s The Deal With The Comic Strip Graffiti? Nobody knows.
My most popular long-form essay in August was Everything There Is To Say About Making Art, which I think is my favorite of the essays I posted in August. If you’d like to see the long-form stuff I did write — and I started out the blog figuring those were the important things, with everything else teasers to keep me in readers’ thoughts — here’s the roster:
- Everything There Is To Say About The History Of Tying Shoes
- Everything There Is To Say About Landing On An Asteroid
- Everything There Is To Say About Making Art
- In Which I Offer To Help Fix Australia’s Political Crisis
- The Long-Term Forecast
Now to the roster of countries that sent me any kind of readers. There were 60 countries sending me any readers at all, down from July’s 66 and June’s 71, so again, the word seems to be shrinking. 16 of these were single-reader countries, down from July’s 17. See gain, shrinking countries.
|Hong Kong SAR China||10|
|Trinidad & Tobago||4|
|United Arab Emirates||3|
Of all the world, only Pakistan and Venezuela have been single-reader countries two months in a row. Yes, I’d love to know what they read and why not any more, but that would take looking or something.
I started September with 243 posts on the year to date, and a total of 558 comments. this averages to 2.3 comments per posting. There were 1,499 total likes, for an average of 6.2 likes per posting. This is the same comments and likes-per-post average as at the start of August. Well, here’s something different: at the start of August I’d published 158,984 words here so far this year. That’s 20,725 words over the month. For the year, through the end of August, I’ve averaged 654 words per post, up very slightly from the 652.2 at the start of August. I start the month having had 96,879 total page views from 53,279 unique readers. Yes, I should do something for the 100,000th page view, but I’ll never know when I reached it. I bet.
If you’d like to read Another Blog, Meanwhile at your convenience here’s the RSS feed for every post, which is pretty convenient. If you’d rather put it in your WordPress Reader, use the button that says something about adding the blog to your reader. It should be at the upper right corner of the page. If you’d like to see me announcing the posts as they happen you can find me as @nebusj on Twitter. Thanks for following however you like.