WordPress’s statistics page is still broken for Safari. But curiosity finally got the better of me and I used Firefox to look at what December’s, and for that matter 2022’s, statistics looked like. So let’s take a quick peek at that, shall we?
So what I saw in December was a suspiciously even 6,000 page views. That’s my third-highest total in the past twelve months, beating the running mean of 5,710.8 and running median of 5,395 views. These came from 2,957 unique visitors, below the running mean of 3,026.8 but above the median of 2,931. Altogether I got 142 comments which is down a little from the running mean of 151.3 and median of 148.5. And there were 89 comments, way above the running mean of 56.7 and median of 51.5.
Driving all this, of course, is that people are mad. And what are they mad at? Comic strips. And one comic strip more than any other. Here’s the roster of the five most popular things that I published in December:
- Why Is Everyone Mad at _Funky Winkerbean_?
- Why is everyone mad at _Funky Winkerbean_ this week? (December 18, 2022)
- Why is everyone mad at _Funky Winkerbean_ this week? (December 11, 2022)
- Why is everyone mad at _Funky Winkerbean_ this week? (December 25, 2022)
- What’s Going On In Gil Thorp? Are there even stories anymore in Gil Thorp? September – December 2022
My most popular piece that wasn’t about comic strips was Statistics Saturday: Adaptations Of _A Christmas Carol_ Ranked and I’m glad that’s got some love. Some of these versions are quite good.
Talking about the comic strips is sure to stay my biggest feature. So here’s my plan for what story strips to discuss in the coming weeks. There’s no extra Popeye comics that I’m aware of, here.
- Jonathan Lemon and Joey Alison Sayers’s Alley Oop (10 January)
- Tony DePaul and Mike Manley’s The Phantom (Weekdays) (17 January)
- Mark Schultz and Thomas Yeates’s Prince Valiant (24 January)
- Mike Curtis, Shelley Pleger, and Shane Fisher’s Dick Tracy (31 January)
- Jim Scancarelli’s Gasoline Alley (38 January)
There were 86 countries sending me any readers at all in December. Here they are:
|United Arab Emirates||10|
|Bosnia & Herzegovina||2|
|Hong Kong SAR China||1|
|Isle of Man||1|
|Trinidad & Tobago||1|
I don’t know who’s on a one-reader streak. Not worth digging out. Nice to see the Isle of Man make an appearance, though.
WordPrees tells me that as of the start of 2023, I’ve had 338,223 views from 190,278 unique visitors, made 3,621 posts, and gotten 5,633 comments altogether. And that in December I posted 19,010 words, one of my more verbose months in the year. Must be all that Grumpy Weasel talk. My words-per-post jumped up to 613.2 for the month, and for the year climbed to 575. We’ll just see whether I stay this talkative in the month to come.