- Yes, I own a Ziggy Christmas ornament.
- No, I am not joking.
- No, I did not get it ironically. If I am not mistaken I got this in 1977 or 1978 and President Jimmy Carter only deregulated irony in 1979.
- Yes, I hang it on the tree.
- Every year except when I forget.
- Yes, somehow however I hang the Ziggy ornament it turns around to face the wall.
- Yes, I have spent more than fifteen minutes trying to get Ziggy to not face the wall.
- No, I am not sure that I’m not the one with the problem, what with how I don’t respect how facing the wall is part of the Nature of Ziggy.
- No, but really, isn’t not respecting the Nature of Ziggy the truest possible way to respect the Nature of Ziggy?
- No, it is not.
So I spent the early part of the day wondering how long the cartoonist spent deciding whether they wanted the animal here to be a raccoon, or a cat, or a raccoon, or a cat, before finally remembering, it’s a Ziggy panel. They didn’t have to work out which in this situation would be funnier, cat or raccoon.
First the routine news: comic strips on my mathematics blog. Plus I make reasons to include images of two of the comics so there’s no extra clicking through links for that. You like that, don’t you?
Now the exciting news. The auto care place that seems like it might be going through a slow-motion breakup announced by its sign board? It’s switched to this.
Have to say, I don’t see how to read this except as a quiet announcement that there’s been some breakthrough in the cold-war-style relationship they’ve been working out. I’m glad. It’s been an awful year, compounding an absolutely brutal year. That an auto care place can have some chance at happiness can maybe be that first little flower proving that life will come again.
Over on my mathematics blog is a fresh round of comic strips which have mathematical themes, or that I can drag in to having mathematical themes. I hope you enjoy.
If you don’t, please enjoy this utterly true confession: I laughed at Ziggy today. And on reflection, I believe that laugh to be correct and appropriate and I stand by it.
Once again my mathematics blog has gotten a bunch of comic strips to talk about, and while I know there’s a good crossover in the humor blog readership and the mathematics blog readership, there’s people who follow one or the other and might be interested in the other.
I’m afraid I haven’t got much else of interest in comic strips to talk about, so, let me point out that Ziggy asserted last week that Ziggy is Popeye’s third cousin. This doesn’t seem to advance the thoroughly dropped question of Popeye’s last name any, but, it’s there. I don’t know Ziggy’s last name.
Is your dishwasher not draining properly? By properly we just mean is it taking all the water which gets put into it, and sending it back out again, with reasonable speed. We aren’t concerned with how stylishly it does the draining, or even whether it’s complying with all relevant state and local regulations, although that might be important in the long term. By the long term we mean after the subpoenas have been issued. By issued we mean to you. By you we mean not necessarily you; it could be someone much like you, such as a friend or sibling.